Driving home one night last week I noticed a nativity scene in front of a church. Joseph had been blown over by the wind so you could really only see Mary and Jesus. No big deal, I thought to myself. It’s just Joseph. Then I got home and watched this video:
Joseph’s side of the story has never been so real to me. His love for Mary, his pain, his joy, and his devotion to his wife and son.
We don’t know a lot about the life of Joseph, but one characteristic that stands out in the verses that describe his life is his obedience.
- He was obedient to take Mary as his wife after he heard the word of the Lord in a dream.
- He was obedient to circumcise Jesus and present Him in in the temple, according to Jewish law.
- He was obedient to take his family to Egypt to protect Jesus from Herod.
- He was obedient to take his family back to Israel and settle in Nazareth.
- He was obedient to take his family to Jerusalem for the Feast of the Passover each year.
Even though Joseph was not Jesus’ biological father, he was obedient to the call God placed on his life to raise Jesus as his own. As my family moves through the adoption process and hopes to have our new son home from Ethiopia by next Christmas, the story of Joseph touches me in new ways. May we all be obedient to raise the children God has blessed us with to honor Him!