Do you know someone who seems to have a direct line to God? Maybe her prayers are so full of praise and adoration, you instantly feel better when you hear her pray. Or maybe she’s the church prayer warrior–the go-to person when anyone has a request because everyone knows she will pray and keep praying. These people are a blessing (especially to those of us who sometimes struggle to find the “right words”).
I believe there is no more precious prayer that has been prayed over me (and you!) than Jesus’ prayer in John 17:20-26. In the hours before His betrayal, trial, and crucifixion, Christ prayed for Himself, His disciples, and for all believers.
What did Jesus Christ pray on your behalf?
- He prayed for unity among believers (v. 21).
- He prayed that we would point others to Him (v. 21).
- He prayed that we would be made perfect (v. 23).
- He prayed we would be with Him, so we can behold His glory (v. 24).
- He prayed that the world would know God through our witness (v. 25).
- He prayed that the love He has with the Father would be in us (v. 26).
His prayer that evening stretched years and miles to reach you! He prayed for your unity with others, your love, and your witness. Hearing His words for me motivates me to want to live His words!
This isn’t the only prayer Christ prayed for you. Hebrews 7:25 says, “Consequently [Jesus] is able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them.” He continues to pray for you–seated at the right hand of God!
Just as you feel empowered by the words a friend prays over you, realize the power of Jesus’ prayer for you. Live in unity, love, and with a burden to tell of God’s love to others today!