We love the names of God because they are the promises of God. As we’ve seen this week, He is Jehovah Rophe, He heals–it is His name! He is Jehovah-Tsidkenu, He is our righteousness–it is His name! His names equal His promises. One of the promises of God I cling to most often is represented by His name Jehovah-Shammah, “The Lord Is There.”
- In the hospital room, He is there.
- Lifting up your voice in praise, He is there.
- When your heart is breaking, He is there.
- Opening your Bible and reading the Word, He is there.
- At the funeral, He is there.
- Laughing with friends, He is there.
- Waiting for the test results, He is there.
- When your daughter walks away, He is there.
- Holding your husband’s hand, He is there.
“The Lord Is There” brings me comfort as I pray for the son we are adopting all the way in Ethiopia. Even though I can’t be there, The Lord Is There. What more could I want? The Father to the fatherless is with my son. He is there!
Psalm 46 describes The Lord Who Is There. He is our refuge and strength (v. 1). The Lord of Hosts is with us (vv. 7 and 11). And a verse most of us are familiar with, “Be still, and know that I am God.” The promise is also spoken by Jesus in the New Testament, “And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age” (Matthew 28:20).
Where ever you are today, know that God is there. Where your husband is, God is there. Where your children are, God is there. God is there, across miles and even across years. Praise Him for being Jehovah-Shammah.