Hiding His Word in My Heart is a challenge to join in making scripture memory a life-long habit. Just jump in where you are, whether you are already memorizing scripture or just starting on this journey.
- Select a plan. Pick a verse, set of verses, passage, or book to memorize. Here are past challenges we’ve done here at Do Not Depart, which you can jump in at any time:
- Romans 8
- Psalm 143. This is a great Psalm to cling to through difficult seasons.
- Hiding Philippians in My Heart. A challenge to memorize the entire book of Philippians.
- Essentials of Philippians. Select passages and verses from the English Standard Version, all set to music as a memory aid.
- Your own plan.
- Choose a completion date. Set a measurable, reasonable completion goal to shoot for.
- Buy some index cards and a journal to write your verses in. Find something small that you can keep with you at all times, so you can take advantage of spare moments here and there to review what you are memorizing.
- Leave a comment to let us know what you are memorizing or plan to begin memorizing and when you hope to complete it.
- If you have a blog, write a blog post about the challenge and link up your blog post below. If you like, you can use this button on your blog and in your posts so we can find each other and spread the word about the challenge.
- If you are on Twitter join the #HideHisWord stream and tweet: “I’m on the journey to #HideHisWord in my heart. Join me? ” Continue to use the #HideHisWord tag to share about your journey and receive support and inspiration from others. (If you are new to Twitter, check out this tutorial.)
- Subscribe to Do Not Depart to stay connected for tips and encouragement to press on.
- Start memorizing! There is no perfect way to do this. Don’t get stuck trying to figure it all out. Just start.
- Stay tuned for monthly posts of encouragement. At the beginning of each month, we will give you a chance to share your posts, pictures and videos of your journey. You can leave a comment or link-up a blog post.
Tips for the starting the journey:
- Pray and ask God to bless your efforts. “Oh Lord, we pray, give us success!” Psalm 118:25b
- Find someone to join you in this challenge. A spouse, a friend, or another family member who will walk this journey with you. Partnership is a big help in providing encouragement and accountability.
- Brainstorm ways that you can use multi-tasking to memorize scripture. Find the places in your day where your hands are busy, but your mind is free to listen. During your commute? While you run errands, or take a shower? Fold laundry, wash dishes? Are you a runner?
- Plan to memorize the references to each verse. This will be invaluable to you when you want to point someone (or yourself!) to these great truths.
- Pick a day for your “prep day”. This is where you can write out the verses for the week in your journal and on your cards that can go up around the house. The bathroom mirror, nightstand, refrigerator, computer, shower (in a Ziploc!), have all been helpful places for me.
I am so excited to see all the Lord is going to do in and through us, as we choose to not depart from His Word, in such a tangible way.
For more tips on Scripture memorization, check out Savoring Living Water: How to have an effective quiet time.