I love words, and words carry power.
But action itself speaks, meets needs, and shares God’s love (and, yes, His Word in action) in affective ways.
It’s not too late! Below are several ideas you can implement this week to share God’s love and His word through serving others. Build these activities into family time, and worship through serving others with His heart.
Sharing the Word with Action
Here are a few ways we can serve people now and share God’s love through action:
- One of our team writers, Teri Lynne, shares 10 Ways to Help in Your Community on her personal blog. These ideas require little planning and most can be implemented in an afternoon.
- Grab a few friends and/or family members and go caroling in a neighborhood. When you carol, choose songs spreading the joy of the season. Sing one or two, wish the neighbors a “Merry Christmas,” and then move on to the next house! It’s a non-pushy, fun way to spread word of His birth.
- Set up Christmas lights between two trees or in your yard simply forming the word “peace,” “joy,” or “love.”
- Prioritize your emphasis on the season and intentionally renew your focus on Him daily, inwardly and as an outward example. Christmas is not about a certain number of gifts or how busy we can be, but is about celebrating His birth, presences, and grace. (Verses that help me when I begin to feel stressed: Luke 2:10, Luke 10:41-42, and Ephesians 2:8-9.)
- Make homemade gifts with your kids with the Word included, like these chalk pastel paintings, this “Joy” word sign, this Christmas carol plaque, or this verse-a-day gift.
- Lead a group of (willing) neighborhood kids or a church preschool class in nativity-focused games and activities, like this Find and Fill Nativity Lesson.
- If it’s cold enough if your area, make a few of these beautiful ice ornaments and include wooden letters spelling out “joy” or “peace.”
- Stick these tags on your gifts and give away the bookmarks!
- Donate to worth-while and Christ-focused causes.
A few ideas you can jump in on now and save for next year:
- Random Acts of Kindness Advent Calendar from Christmas.yourway.net. I love this focus on giving, rather than receiving.
- Gather enough nativity-based Christmas books from the library (or purchase over several years) to read one a night with your children as an advent plan to focus on His Word in the weeks leading up to Christmas Day. (Three resources: 20 Christ-Centered Read Alouds, another list of Christ-focused Christmas books for toddlers and preschoolers, and an advent reading plan based off of [amazon_link id=”0310708257″ target=”_blank” ]The Jesus Storybook Bible[/amazon_link].)
- Save up and shop sales throughout year to sponsor a family at Christmas or fill an Operation Christmas Child shoebox or two.
“And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.” – John 1:14
How are you and your family sharing God’s Word through service this season (and throughout the year)? What’s one way you include His Word in your gifts or actions? Share in the comments below.